Tuesday, March 1, 2011

De Ghumaake: I can take defeat, not disgrace !

This report in the media has left me dumb and numb. I really wish there's nothing in it. I have suffered enormous pain when some of my favorites like Azar, Cronje and Jadeja were damned in what must be the 'Dark Age' of Cricket.

Why do I admire Saurav Ganguly ? Precisely because he lifted the pall of gloom over Indian Cricket with his aggression, the will to win and his cover drive; in that order.

This current Indian Team, patronized by Sachin Tendulkar, the God and loved by millions is an absolute favorite for me. That is in spite of Sreesanth's antics, Dhoni's obstinacy and Munaf Patel's fielding.

Many a times in the past, there have been allegations about people in the current team being in contact with bookies. Suresh Raina was targeted by a section of Sri Lankan media. Never did I believe any of that. Neither do I want to believe now. But what happened during "Tie is a Tie is a Tie" does sound a little fishy !

Let us take a look...

It is amazing that India [Dhoni and Zaheer] didn't appeal when Strauss edged twice. Noise, what noise ? Every Indian is born and lives in a perpetual Railway Station. We can read and write examinations in the middle of bedlam. We can listen to Mohammed Rafi in the market and we can pick up snicks even in Eden.

Apart from this there were some strange things that happened. The BelLBW decision that went up and came unchanged was one. The way Munaf and Zaheer ran those one and three quarter useless runs was another. And then there was the most surprising of them all...

Of the last ball of the match, even as the fielder was swooping on the ball, the English pair had at their liberty the choice of running the second. At worse, they would have lost a wicket. The match would still have been a tie. And at best, there could have been an over-throw and England would have won.Why did they not run ?

Had everyone decided in advance that this match is a Tie ?

Strauss has gone on record that Shane Warne had predictweeted a Tie !

Now, am I reading too much ?

I sincerely hope this Cup is not fixed. I sincerely hope Dhoni and his boys just had 60% bad day in the office.

I was much younger when Azar declared "Maine match banaaya". Today, at forty, I am not strong enough to absorb another shock. Too passionate about Cricket for any more shocks.

I can take defeat, not disgrace !
Come on Team India, millions root for you, don't let the millions down.
Fix the problems in the bowling, fielding and late order batting.
Let nobody dare to fix matches !




SPun Doctor

6 comments:

  1. Oh c'mon!
    Seriously?
    I hope not...
    :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am asking the same questions...

    1. Why did Dhoni not bring all 9 fielders in the circle? - How
    2. Why did England not go for the 2nd run?

    Questions that I need answers for....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too many questions, too many of them.

    I was furious when Zaheer and Munaf ran that mad run without adding anything to total of what turned out to be the last ball of Indian innings. I too had told my Mom that this match might be decided by that particular run.

    Was it just 2 sets of tail-enders running out of ideas ?

    Or was there anything deeper down ?

    The involvement of Warne makes me suspicious. Let ICC be Warned !

    On second thoughts...

    Is the whole Cup fixed ?
    Is ICC the Master Fixer ?
    Just to increase the sagging interest of the audience, are all the people 'hand in glove' with Dhoni and Co ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. IPL is killing the game Govindu.
    Its only money now, country, pride, selflessnes all gone.
    I will not be surprised if one day Dhoni turns out to be another Cronje!!
    Cricket, I feel has become thamaasha like WWF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Murli, I am depressed and need a real break Yaar. But damn it, I love this game too much to say 'Quits' !

    ReplyDelete