Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shahid Afridi: The Day of the Whack-all !

The Day of the Whack-all or Reincarnation of Shahid Afridi !

Cricket is a Team game with individuals often making large impacts. I will deal with Kevin O'Brien some other day. One Knock Out there doesn't make a Champion. For now, let us just say he landed the KO punch on Poms last night.

I am old fashioned, slow and used to bowl leg-spin as a teenager. I retired to pursue my profession after watching THIS. Well, that actually was because I realized I was way too mediocre a bowler. But I still am a bowler at heart and love the bowlers getting the better of a batsman than watching those flat-track bullies go bombastic.Okay, Viru Sehwag is an exception.

That is why I loved 'The revenge of the Slinga" and today I just rooted for Afridi. From biting the ball, he has traveled a long way to make it take flight, hiss and bite back ! Shahid Afridi has been a revelation in this edition of the World Cup. Pray where is the Shahid Afridi we all knew till the other day ?

He has looked calm, mostly composed and not once bitten; no not the ball, I mean the tongue. And there aren't those expletives too.

We don't really know how old Afridi really is. Shah Rukh Khan once claimed Afridi made his debut when SRK went to college. That must be ages ago because SRK made his debut when I went to college and I myself went to college once upon a time.

He is Pakistan's Wicket taker in Chief. He is their most economical bowler. He is their motivator par excellence on field and he is not keeping wickets. If he were to know he'd have to live with KAkmal, he perhaps would have learned that too. And he is the 'fastest slow bowler' on the planet today.

Against Sri Lanka, he bowled a gem of a spell and picked up a wicket every time his team needed one. His dismissal of Lanka counterpart Sanga was one of the most important moments of this Cup.

He would like to carry the Premadasa minefield wherever he goes. No wonder he doesn't want to play in India before the final. One doubt though, does he really believe India will go that far ? Being an Indian, I don't.

Watching KO Brien's pyrotechnics, I was reminded of a younger and dangerous Afridi. Too much of maturity has 'Dhonied' him. He came as a batsman who could bowl. Today, he is a bowler who it is believed 'can bat'.

But what the heck ? Afridi is winning matches and that is what matters. I love Leg Spinners and when I say that, I don't mean Piyush Chawla.

Afridi had most of his wickets bowled or LBW, except for Gordon. The wides apart, his accuracy was immaculate.

Those who were waiting for another upset tonight, better look elsewhere. England and India are always there. If any team can defend any total, that has to be Pakistan. And their Captain has played a huge role in this rejuvenation. For me, Pakistan are Favorites.

He was the perpetual 'Whack-all' for a little too long. But he showed some kind of maturity during their T-20 WC win in 2009. Since then, he has blown hot and blown cold as a batsman. But his utility as a 'Team Man' has soared amazingly and he leads the MVP Race without scoring too many runs.

Towards the business end of this Cup, I suspect he might just peak with the bat too. Remember he wants to play the 'Final' in India and India doesn't have a Premadasa.

Sorry Murali, Sorry Sachin, Sorry Ricky, Sorry KP and Sorry everyone else...

I am afraid April 2, 2011 will be the "Day of the Whack-all" !




SPun Doctor

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing
    a blog article or vice-versa? My blog goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from
    each other. If you might be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by
    the way!

    Also visit my web page :: cash advance jacksonville

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I'd figured I'd ask.
    Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
    My blog goes over a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you might be interested feel free to send me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!


    my website cash advance jacksonville
    My website > 500 cash advance

    ReplyDelete